Wednesday, October 31, 2007

happy little kitchen

Well, Monday night’s kitchen adventure didn’t turn out as well as I expected.  We did try the beet greens, sautéed with some bacon-wrapped pork chops.  They were pretty good – it was something new at least.  The beets themselves, though, didn’t quite pan out – there were far fewer beets in the bag that I expected, so I had to choose between the roasted beet salad and the “beetnik” cake.  I chose the cake, and set to work shredding the beets.  Or, at least trying to shred them.  They don’t shred easily. Not in my cheese grater, nor in the food processor.  Ugh.  I got about halfway through them before I had to leave for dance class.  I stuck them in the fridge and when I got back they’d turned from white and red (these were Chioggia beets – the bulls-eye variety) to an icky purple.  Kinda like apples or potatoes turn brown after being in the air too long.  Not appealing.  So I scrapped the beet ideas and started on the sweet potatoes.  This went much better.  I cooked and mashed all of them, then constructed two sweet potato pies to freeze.  One will go to work with me for our holiday potluck, and the other will be baked for Thanksgiving dinner.  This used up about a third of the sweet potato mash, so I stuck the rest in the fridge and last night assembled 6 Addictive Sweet Potato Burritos.  I’m trying one today for lunch.  Mmm…

 

I still have 3 summer squash in the fridge – a zucchini, I think, and a couple of pattypan.  I know we have some feta left, so tonight might be the night for Greek lamb burgers with cucumber sauce and feta-stuffed squash. Then a scary movie and passing out candy to the neighborhood ghouls and goblins…

 

Happy Halloween!