Thursday, January 24, 2008

waste not

As part of this month’s co-op order, I picked up 10 lbs of baby potatoes, 5 lbs each of Yukon gold and red-skinned.  About two lbs into the bag of Yukons, I noticed that they were sprouting eyes…darnit!  I know that it’s safe to just cut the eyes off and eat them, but once the eyes have appeared, I have to worry that it won’t be too long before the potatoes start getting soft…the end is near.  What to do?  I spend an hour or so last night sorting, washing, skinning, and boiling the remainder of the potatoes before whipping them up with cream cheese, butter, sour cream and chives.  I froze the whipped potatoes in scoops on a cookie sheet, and then put the frozen clumps in freezer bags for storage.  Now whenever I want some yummy mashed potatoes, I just pull out a couple of chunks and nuk’em in the microwave.  Guess what I’m having for lunch today?