Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Knit-wit

Last night after dance class, I attempted to teach myself to knit.  I can’t say that it was a fabulous experience.  My mother gifted me with a Knitter’s Encyclopedia for Christmas, and I picked up a copy of Debbie Stoller’s Stitch n’ Bitch, so I had great instructions.  (I love Stoller’s writing style – I also have her Happy Hooker Crochet book).  This attempt did go much better than the last time I tried to learn – that try lasted about 4 minutes.  This time I managed to double-cast on and stitch a whole row, but I flubbed up when trying to turn and start the second row – the loops were so tight I couldn’t get my needle though… grrrr…

 

Granted, I am just starting to learn.  And I must say that I was warned – knitting is not easy to learn – it takes practice.  I should know from experience – when I picked up crocheting again this year, my first scarf started out as a tantrum in the kitchen with my yarn and hook flung across the room.  But once I got it, I really got it.  It’s not hard to crochet.  Of course, I’m still making hats and scarves…I’m still a newbie in the crochet world, so I shouldn’t expect to knit a sweater on my first time out.  Still, it’s frustrating to learn new things…

 

Why am I trying to knit, you may ask?  Isn’t that an antiquated craft, something our grandmother’s did?  Why, yes.  Yes it is.  It is a time-honored art, perfected by women though out the ages.  And while maybe people turn up their noses at “things women used to do”, I agree with Debbie Stoller’s assessment that those people are anti-feminist.  Just because it’s “women’s work” doesn’t make it bad – we should be proud that our gender developed and honed such an art.  No one makes fun of traditional male activities, like hunting or fishing – in fact, most people are impressed when women pick those up.   So I’m proud and excited to learn a skilled craft that has been passed down through generations of women – and hopefully I’ll soon have some sweaters to show off… Of course, by the time I finish one, it’ll be July, but I’ll be all set for NEXT winter!