Friday, March 21, 2008

Let's corn some beef!

I made corned beef and cabbage for the our dinner last night, kind of a belated St. Patty’s Day dinner.  None of it was local, all was commercially produced, but still…it was mighty tasty.  As long as I didn’t stop to think about what mind actually be IN the corned beef… Ew.

So I started thinking…why can’t I get local corned beef?  Our co-op doesn’t offer it at the moment…  I could also check out Whole Foods to see if they at least offer a grass-fed version, but I’m guessing their price is more than I really want to pay…  Why can’t I corn the beef myself?  I suppose I could!  This website offers some insight into the corning process, as well as detailed instructions (perhaps a little TOO much information on the process of corning a tongue…).  Now all I need is a local brisket or other cut of meat and I can corn away.  Once the growing season kicks into high gear, we’ll be eating locally-produced corned beef and cabbage.