Sunday, January 03, 2010

Crafting in 2010! - Project #1

I'm still working on determining my new year's resolutions. I don't believe in starting them right off anyway...best to wait until the 3rd or 4th of January, right?
One that I do know is that I want to do more crafting. I've gotten rather busy, and that's the first hobby to be set aside. Another resolution is to make use of my stuff...or get rid of it. This is going to include my monster craft stash as well as my shelf full of crafting books. I figure it's best to combine these intentions into one larger resolution - to use my craft books to inspire more crafty-goodness and de-saturate my stash. With that, I'm going to attempt to do (at least) one new craft project each week, from at least one of my many many books.



I just wrapped up Project #1: a quilted bag for my netbook. I've had this on my to-do list for a while, as I need a bag that lets me carry the battery separately - leaving the battery attached to the computer drains it, even when not powered on. I used the Ladylike Laptop Tote pattern from Jenny Ryan's Sew Darn Cute, but left out the ladylike part. This project helped me de-stash a bit too, using a red t-shirt and gray sweatpants from my refashioning box (ok, boxes).


The photo is of the Nebraska Cornhusker mascot Lil' Red, taken at a pre-game party in Lincoln this fall. I was messing around with GIMPshop - took the color out, "posterized" the photo, and printed it on fabric paper (also an in-stash find). I embroidered the outlines of the major photo elements to add back some color. The photo fabric was reverse appliqued onto the red t-shirt fabric prior to assembling the bag.