Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Compact Fluorescent Happiness

One of my goals this year around our house is to replace all the incandescent light bulbs with energy-efficient CFLs.  So far, I’ve bought 16 bulbs and have swapped bulbs in the dining room, master bedroom, guest bedroom and 2 of my 3 lamps.  I still have a couple of bulbs left over, but, as the old bulbs get rather hot, this task seems best suited to daylight when the lights have been off in the desired room for quite a while…not the case in my office last night and I have a slight burn on a finger to prove it!  Oops.

A couple of snags in my plan: I haven’t figured out what to do with the light fixtures that hold non-standard sized bulbs – do they make CFLs for the fancy bathroom vanity fixtures?  How about the tiny pointy bulbs for chandeliers?  This project will definitely require more research… Another thing I noticed is that it will take some time to adjust to the delay between flipping the switch and the light actually coming on – there is a definitely pause as the chemical reaction occurs and becomes light.  I’m used to walking into a room, flipping the switch and being able to see.  Now, I walk into my bedroom, flip the switch…and pause until I can see so I don’t stub my toe!  Oh, well…patience is a virtue and we could all use more of it…a happy goddess is a patient, stubbed-toe-free goddess…