Saturday, July 07, 2007

SO not a good time...

Well, hopefully I learned my lesson today:  do not take several days off from running and expect to do well during a race.  I did, and I didn't.  I haven't run since Monday, partly because I had things to do after work and needed to get out of there at a decent hour, but mostly because I just felt lazy.  Big mistake.  This morning was the Run for Justin 5K, a benefit for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society put on by the family of Justin Nealon, a boy who died in a tragic car-pedestrian accident.  As it was "just" a 5K, I didn't really worry too much about my training this week.  After all, what's a measly 3.1 miles?  Well, let me tell you, it's HELL!  I just never caught my breath, never found my stride - the whole thing was miserable.  Usually, I struggle a bit at the beginning, then hit a good stride and can breath like I'm sitting still.  Today it just didn't happen.  The hills seemed like mountains and the heat was unbearable.  Even my finish, normally my strong point, was weak.
So, as I have signed up for another 5K next Friday, I will spend several days this week in training!