Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Dude, your wife is kinda weird...

That’s the thought I’m sure was rolling through the minds of my DH’s guests last night.  He had some guys over from a new band – they’re looking for a drummer – and I had decided to keep myself busy in the kitchen while they jammed downstairs.  When they arrived, I was deep into a salsa canning session, as well as baking zucchini bread, and working on an embroidery project.  I’m sure any one of those activities would have made me look like a good little housewife, but I was doing all three at once.  Add to that the fact that I had two loads of laundry drying on the clothesline when they all ventured out onto our back deck, and I’m sure they were surprised I was wearing shoes. 

Is all this stuff I do now weird?  I guess it is all pretty traditional and domesticated, but I’m not doing any of it because I have to – I’m having fun!  Cooking, baking, sewing, and making things are just hobbies to me.  

I ended up canning 10 jars of salsa – 8 pints and 2 half-pints.  I made 5 mini-loaves of zucchini bread from the last of my garden zucchini – had to sent the poor zucchini plant off to an early grave.  I finished the embroidery project I mentioned, but that’s it as far as sewing-related goodness goes.  I wanted to start on a skirt to match the top I did as my first Wardrobe Refashion, but I also had to spend a good portion of my evening comforting the schnauzer-mutt who was totally freaked out by the sounds of death metal radiating from our basement.  I’m not sure our place is the best practice space…