Tuesday, August 07, 2007

I'm ruined!

Ack!  My taste buds have evolved!  Crappy food no longer tastes good!  Now, I’m sure that this is a good thing, of course, but it’s almost disappointing…  You know how you have a favorite childhood food – some horribly processed junk food – that you remember tasting so good?  And then you eat it as an adult and it’s just not as good as your memory of the food?  I don’t know if it’s because the company that makes said over-processed-but-delicious crap changed their recipe and the food truly doesn’t taste the same, or if your taste buds mature and develop the ability to reject such junk and appreciate the finer culinary thing in life.  I’ve had this happen with several foodstuffs I loved as a kid.  But now it’s happened in such a short period of time I can almost pinpoint the second it happened (let’s say July 24, 2:37 PM, just for fun).  Junk food – cheap candy, soda pop, packaged baked goods, and the like – rather suddenly do not taste good to me.  It must be all the fresh food and homemade goodies I’ve been indulging in this summer.  Or it could be some sort of taste bud-brain connection now that I’m paying more attention to the ingredients that go into our commercially produced food.  Either way, I’m eating much healthier and consciously.  This is something I plan to continue as much as possible, but every once in a while, you just want JUNK!  And now that rare processed-crap treat is ruined for me.  I’m sad. :P

On the other hand, my homemade salsa rocks!