Monday, August 06, 2007

On the bright side...

Well, my overbooked weekend was really stressful and not a lot of fun.  I’m very tired today, but it’s not the usual “I had so much fun, I can barely move” exhaustion that I typically exhibit on Monday mornings; it’s more of a “this better get better fast” worn-out and grumpy tiredness.  Oh, well.  Not that it was all bad this weekend; in fact, I think that despite all the unpleasantness, we might actually come out ahead after the smoke clears.

What happened, you might ask?  Let’s review the bad stuff, and then I’ll try to find the silver lining:

Friday night we had a belly dance performance at the PS Collective.  I did a solo.  As I climbed onto the stage, I started to realize that I could not for the life of me remember how my choreography started.  The song has no intro – I start dancing on the first beat, but I could not recall what I was supposed to do.  Man, that was embarrassing.  The bright side?  I was forced to smile big and improv and no one would admit that they could tell a difference.  Phew.  Plus we got some exposure to a new audience, since most patrons were there for the bands…

Saturday night, my DH decided to part ways with his band.  He played drums for this band since Thanksgiving, and while he thoroughly enjoyed the experience, some recent events lead him to the decision that this was the best time to walk away.  The bright side?  He is free to pursue original music (they were a cover band) and I no longer have to spend my weekends in smoky bars listening to the same 3 sets.  We’ll be able to spend more time together, with less stress and heavy lifting (although I was becoming quite the roadie!).   

On the way home from his final gig that night, we got pulled over!  I can’t even remember the last time I was stopped, but here we were in the middle of nowhere digging out registration and proof of insurance…  The bright side?  No ticket and the cop let us know that a rear brake light was out.  The light itself was not a “bright side” exactly, but the fact that the brilliant man I married had salvaged the light bulbs from the last tail light he accidentally busted, and was able to fix the problem himself for free – that’s definitely bright! J

Sunday morning, ML and I sprinted away from the starting line for our second Lake Wehrspann 10k.  We did it last year, and a full 12 months must have been enough to dull the painful memories of the first attempt, because this was a long, agonizing run!  I pulled my right quad and my hips got so stiff that I could barely stand up or sit down without some major effort.  The bright side?  This was #6 of my 8 qualifying races for the Run the Magnet series I am doing for the 2nd year in a row.  I finished in under an hour and I’m not limping too badly…

Other bad things include a monster headache, a messy kitchen from salsa making, and our treadmill going on the fritz this morning…

So, a not-so-good weekend, but I think we’ll be all the better for the experience…

Let me throw in a couple of all-good happenings, so I don’t seem like too much of a whiner:

I made salsa!  I never had before, and I not only made up a huge batch, I also canned it with my new (old) canner.  I have 4 pint jars of super-spicy almost-all local salsa in my pantry now, and we’ll try it out tonight.  All of the tomatoes were from my garden, the peppers (bells, sweet, and jalapeño) onions, and garlic from a local farmer’s market, and the cilantro was a garnish on my chicken lettuce wraps at a local food-fest we attended yesterday.  I think the idea of his wife wrapping up free herbs in a napkins and stuffing them in her purse while at a public event was less embarrassing for the DH than the thought that I would otherwise spend our money buying the same herbs later, although not by much. 

The DH and I completed a project together without screaming or breaking anything in frustration.  The space under our deck was overgrown with weeds and the lattice we threw up when we moved in was starting to look pretty sad – we never quite finished the initial intended project.  So Saturday morning, we pulled down the fencing, and yanked out all the weeds.  We graded the surface, put down weed-control fabric, some pretty red mulch, and voila!  It looks much nicer and now I can landscape the rest of the yard without this eyesore in the corner.  This was one of the few times we’ve done any kind of home-improvement effort without a major fight.  Very cool!

I’m looking forward to a pretty boring week as we rest up for our anniversary next weekend…hopefully drama-free!