Tuesday, October 02, 2007

The cupboards are bare...

I read the Omaha World Herald a lot, if you couldn’t tell. It’s one of two local news sites I visit throughout the day, for both news items and entertainment ideas. Today there was an article about the Omaha Food Bank and its empty shelves. The food bank supplies 87 food pantries in the area, and this past month those pantries have received reduced portions of canned goods. This makes me sad; there is no reason someone in this country should go hungry – we have so much food! Last night I searched my own cupboards and shelves for extra cans to donate, and after work tonight a co-worker and I are headed to the grocery store. This individual is incredibly generous – last year he spend $200 on socks, under-garments, personal hygiene items, and books and games for the Youth Emergency Services collection drive I was helping with for the Jr. League. I know that tonight he’ll probably buy a cartload of groceries for our company’s food drive, and I will feel a tad guilty that I am not able to spend as much as he is. But I’ll buy some cans, and I’ll chip in by helping him make the most of his dollars at the grocery store – you do what you can…

If you’re in the Omaha area and want to help feed those that can’t afford the food they need, why not bring a few boxed or canned food items to the food bank? Or, you can Dine Out Against Hunger next Tuesday night, October 9th.