Thursday, October 04, 2007

Happy Meat and Twelve Dollar Apples

Today I pick up our first order from the Nebraska Food Co-op.  I can’t wait!  Steaks, ground beef, a whole chicken, a big tub of Quark (awesome cheese spread), mozzarella, bratwurst, breakfast sausage, etc.  Plus I put down a reservation for a heirloom turkey for Thanksgiving! J  I think my family was a little nervous about that – none of us has ever seen a bird that didn’t come in a Butterball wrapper…

To take full advantage of my birthday gift, I also signed up to volunteer with the co-op customer pick-up this afternoon.  I’m pretty excited about the volunteering part; not so much about trying to park in Benson in the afternoon…

So, on the not-so-local food front, the DH asked for “permission” to buy some apples at HyVee yesterday (not that he has to ask, but he knows how into the local-food thing I am).  He had sampled what he thought to be the “best apples EVER”.  Craving apples myself, I consented and arrived home to find a $12 bag of apples!  Holy crap!  That’s a lot for a little bag of apples, don’t you think?  Especially non-organic…  However, I have to agree that they are the best apples I’ve had in a long while…  And a welcome addition to my diet this fall.  ML and I were hoping to drive down to the Kimmel Orchard in Nebraska City for you-pick-‘em apples, but the effects of this year’s late spring freeze are still being felt into the apple season.  Almost all local fruit was affected.  I haven’t tried any of the local apples to be quite honest – ML bought some at one of the nearby farms, but I’m still working my way through my last farmer’s market haul, so I haven’t found the occasion to stop there yet…