Sunday, October 21, 2007

Mmmm...chocolate



Because I firmly believe no one should go through life without at least trying my grandmother's chocolate sauce, I'm going to post the recipe. I don't know if this is hers originally, but that's where I got it! Thanks, Grandma!

Chocolate Sauce:
Melt 1/2 cup butter in small saucepan. Add 1 1/2 cups white sugar and 1/2 cup cocoa powder. Blend in 2/3 cups light cream or evaporated milk. Bring to a boil; boil for 1 minute. Remove from heat and stir in 1 teaspoon vanilla. Poor over ice cream or yellow cake. Store leftovers in the refrigerator and eat by the spoonful when the spirit hits you. :) Enjoy!

I got a hankering for this stuff tonight, and we just so happened to have most of the ingredients (I used milk instead of cream) and a box of Birthday Cake-flavored ice cream. That's what I call dinner!

This was definitely a better meal than the others I had this weekend. Friday night at the home and garden show, my salad and banana wore off and I gave in and bought a cheeseburger from the concession stand. Uck. The bun was hard on one side and who knows how long those condiments had been out. (Please don't tell me.) Saturday I indulged in a slice of Valentino's pizza, which was decent, but after the game we ate at Buffalo Wild Wings. I don't even know why I keep trying to find good food there. I should order fries and call it a night - it's pretty hard to screw up potatoes. A chicken wrap, however - that can be screwed up an infinite number of ways! It just wasn't good...

Food aside, the weekend was fun. I already went over Friday night, so we'll skip that. :) Saturday, the DH and I caravaned to Lincoln with his band buddy and girlfriend. The first quarter of the game got our hopes up a little too much, so the loss was just that much more painful. We left mid-fourth-quarter. We did get to see Tom Osbourne, though! I had hoped he'd be in the box behind our seats, 'cause that's where Steve Pederson had sat during the previous games. I bet it was kind of a shock to Larry the Cable Guy (next box over) that someone else was getting all the attention in the North Stadium for a change!

Hard to get a picture of Tom - he kept his back to the crowd:


After a beer with our road-trip pals, we headed back to Omaha to meet up with some neighbors at Scary Acres, a local haunted attraction. We made it through the House on the Hill and the Castle before we went home - the DH had to work early this morning. I didn't have to work, but I did get up early to pick up trash with the Omaha Running Club along the West Papio Trail and take a quick run. The rest of today has been dance practice and starting projects. Starting is the operative word here - I've basically just made a huge mess! All the better to end a pretty good weekend...

Here's some trash I picked up on the trail - an aereson can stuck in some brush: