Monday, October 29, 2007

sourdough goodness

I had a craving for bread this weekend, so I picked up a loaf of Old Market Sourdough at the local Hyvee store.  I knew this was a local bread company, as we’d seen them at the farmer’s market, but I hadn’t tried it yet.  O. M. G.  It is heaven in a slice of bread.  Seriously, it is the best bread I’ve had in a good long while.  I slathered it with butter, but it didn’t need it.  I ate the whole loaf (20 ounces) in just under 2 days.  I think I shared one slice with ML.  It was hard to spare that much. J 

 

I need to spend part of my evening tonight doing more local-food-related business – mainly cooking up all the veggies I got from the co-op before they go bad!  I have beets and sweet potatoes to focus on, ‘cause I know the squash will hang on a little longer.  I looked up a few appealing recipes this morning.  These are the ones I’m focusing on:

v      Sweet Potato and Black Bean Burritos – recipe promised that they freeze well.

v      Beetnik Cake – one more attempt to get the folks at work to eat their veggies (covered in cream cheese frosting).

v      Braised Beet Greens and Pork Chops – that’ll be dinner tonight.

v      Sweet Potato Casserole – to be frozen for Thanksgiving dinner.

v      Roasted Beet and Feta Salad – if there are beets leftover, this will make a good lunch this week…

I’ve never had beet greens before, so I’m a little apprehensive about dinner tonight.  But I figure it’s worth a try – I have them, so better this than just tossing them out.