Thursday, November 08, 2007

High school all over again

The most horrible thought occurred to me during my body sculpting class today…If I get braces within the next month or so…I’m going to have them during my 10-year high school reunion.  Eek!  This horrifying realization raised several questions, such as 1) do I even want to go to my 10-year high school reunion, and if so 2) can I handle facing all the people I went to school with looking like that?  Does one ever get over their high-school insecurities?  I guess it takes longer than 10 years… 

Maybe I’ll just skip the reunion.  I think there are about 3 people I would even care to talk to, although I do find it interesting to see what triumphs and tragedies have befallen my fellow alumni.  I went to a teeny-tiny school – I was one of 23 in the class of ’98 – but amazingly sometimes people from my town go on to do really cool stuff – travel the world, invent things, make tons of money…and more predictably a lot of them go nowhere and do nothing.  I like to think I’ve fallen right in the middle.  I didn’t go too far (geographically), but I feel worlds apart from that place.