Tuesday, November 06, 2007

how to become a locavore

The folks over at Eat Local Challenge pointed out this list on the PBS website.  Not only did I find it a great explanation of the concept of eating local, I was also happy to note that I can officially claim locavore status – I’m doing or have done most everything on the list. J  For instance, I have:

1)       Visited a farmer’s market (or 5, actually).

3)   Chosen 5 foods that I can buy locally – I buy local beef, chicken, eggs, milk, cheese…bread, veggies, fruit, etc, as much as possible.

4)   Found a local CSA – ML and I are signing up this spring, so this one is technically only half-complete.

5)   Preserved a local food for the winter.  I spend some time this season canning tomato sauce, salsa, and jams (peach, plum, strawberry), as well as freezing tomatoes, broccoli, carrots, squash, etc.  I hope to do a LOT more of this next summer!

6)   Found restaurants in my area that support local farmers – not a huge number, but Omaha does have them.  Local schools buy local too – at the last Nebraska Food Co-op pickup, the chef from Creighton Prep High School stopped in to pick up a huge order for the school cafeteria.

7)   Planned to host a local Thanksgiving – our thanksgiving this year will be mostly-local.  We’re serving a locally-raised heirloom turkey, local pies, local bread, local carrots, local sweet potatoes, etc.  Since other family members are bringing food, too, it won’t be entirely local, but close.

8)   Bought from local vendors – as part of the Nebraska Food Co-op, I have access to locally-grown as well as locally-produced items, and I’m happy to support local dairies and bakeries.

10) Visited a local farm.   Just last weekend, ML and I visited Kvam Farm in West Point, NE for a tour.  Being part of the co-op gives us abundant opportunity for more tours in the future.

 

So, what’s left on the list?  I haven’t 2) lobbied my supermarket, or 9) asked about origins.  But there’s plenty of time for that during the dark winter days ahead.