Monday, December 17, 2007

a big no-no



Confession: I broke one of my cardinal rules yesterday. I wore a scrunchy in public. I admit it – laugh away please. I’m surprised that I even own one of those things still, but they are just so good for wrapping around buns…usually I have enough self-respect and awareness to take it out before I leave the house! Oh, well…


It was another one of those crazy weekends, but it was fairly enjoyable and productive. I spent Friday night cleaning up the house (of course it’s trashed again already), then baking apple-stuff acorn squash and a nice apple crisp. ML came over and we worked on our zil-skills and attempted a Rania choreography dvd. My folks came to town, but didn’t arrive until 11:30 due to severely limited visibility – it started snowing that evening and didn’t stop until mid-Saturday morning…eek! I stayed up late chatting with my mom and cutting out cloth for a couple of crafty gifts.


Saturday morning, my mom dropped me off at my Jumble Shop shirt before borrowing my car. At the JS, I hit the used-shoe jackpot! Some girl had donated almost her entire wardrobe, including some barely or never worn shoes…in my size! I picked up a pair of Nine West black loafers, some Born brown flats, and a pair of tan Skechers. This brings my thrift-store shoe total to 7 pairs in the last month.


Saturday night, the DH and I headed downtown to eat Chinese food before strolling around the Old Market. We met up with ML and her new guy at a coffee shop, then donned our Christmas elf hats to watch “The Santaland Diaries”, an extremely enjoyable holiday play. I give it 5 stars and a candy cane!


Sunday was pretty relaxed…I worked on craft project – a crochet hook caddy for my grandmother and some rice-filled eye pillow for our aunts – and tried to finish a nearly-due library book. This week I need to return “Twinkie Deconstructed” and “The Girls of Riyad”. I’m not sure I’ll finish Riyad. It’s supposed to be this scandalous account of 4 girls in Saudi Arabia, but honestly, it’s pretty tame… What they consider outrageous behavior wouldn’t cause most to bat an eye here… Twinkie is great though! It’s about this man who decides to track down and investigate where each ingredient in a package of Twinkies comes from – corn syrup, polysorbate 60, artificial and “natural” flavors, etc. It’s very educational. And now I know the difference between baking soda and washing soda. J