Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Spring has sprung...well, close enough

It’s almost spring…I saw my first giant cockroach at work yesterday.  Ew!  A sure sign of warmer weather.

Life has been busy as usual the past couple of weeks, with no signs of slowing down (does it ever?)  My Jr. League committee finally kicked off our Dance without Limits session in mid-February, with my rotation starting last week.  This is a great program – we work with the local Girls Scouts to bring a professional dancer into an elementary school to work with the girls after school once a week for 8 weeks.  This year, we brought Charles, an African dancer – and a fantastic one at that.  I’ve taken a couple of African dance workshops, so with that and my belly dance experience, it’s pretty easy for me to pick up.  I think some of the little girls were really (really) surprised that I could dance…and that’s when it occurred to me that they see me as an old white lady! J  The first week was a little awkward for me, ‘cause I don’t spend much time around kids anymore, but at my second session yesterday, it was much better – I even got a couple of hugs!

Last week, I also met with my Jr. League placement advisor to get an idea of what I want to do next year.  I have about 6 positions I’m interested in, but a couple of them might conflict with my as-of-yet unscheduled jaw surgery.  That’s frustrating – I really wish I had a set date, but nope – it all depends on how quickly I progress… sigh…  But, anyways, it’s exciting to have so many great choices for placement next year!  Do I want to stick with something I know, or push myself out of my comfort zone and try a new challenge?  I was also contacted this past week about becoming more involved with the two guilds I joined last year, the Girls Inc GirlFRIENDS, and the CSI Guild.  Very cool!

This past Friday, the DH’s band had a gig here in town at the Sokol Underground – I’m so glad they made that venue nonsmoking!  I mean, come on!  It’s a basement!  It gets stuffy enough as it is!  Aurasing was awesome, as usual.  No surprise there… J

Diva Soma had a show at the Shark Club the next night…it was a little nerve-wracking.  I had a new solo and we had a big crowd!

Like I said, things aren’t getting any less busy in the near future.  The Divas are planning the Nebraska Belly Dance Spectular (May 3 at the Shark Club – mark your calendar), the Diva corps has a gig in April, plus the annual Rainbows of the Desert workshop in Des Moines in a couple of weeks…  I’m working on costumes for everyone for the Spectular, doing a ton of refashioning (which I need to post!), planning my garden (got seeds yesterday), and now I really need to start studying for my CISSP exam!  Phew.