Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Pain free

About to head out on a jog…this will be a second test run to see if my new arch support “performance inserts” are really doing the trick when it comes to my strange and unbearable foot pain.  Crossing my fingers…  Monday’s run was wonderful – after a horrific 5 mile race the week before (my right foot hurt every step of the way), I was scared to even try it.  My dad, who I call for all running-related diagnoses, suggested that new inserts would cure me, but I’ll admit I was skeptical.  Guess he was right… 

 

Didn’t run this past weekend, but was plenty busy regardless.  Spent Friday night helping ML put a ruffle on a too-short vacation dress, visited the farmer’s market on Saturday morning, and then drove down to Lincoln with the DH.  I was invited to dance with Basharaat and The Tribe (their student troupe, of which I guess I’m a part) at a Rocks Oriental show.  For the non-belly dancer reader, “Raks Oriental” means “Dance of the East”, or Belly Dance.  This show was set entirely to classic rock, hence the title “Rocks Oriental”.  I wore my new denim tiered skirt and performed my choreography to the UHP cover of Johnny Cash’s Ring of Fire.  It always gets a good chuckle from the crowd when they start to recognize the tune… J  Naturally I forgot my entire dance the moment I got on stage but I think my improv skills are getting better… J

 

Sunday was the weekly Salome rehearsal, followed by dinner at the new Baby Blue sushi restaurant and then a drive to CB for The Roots(!) at Stir.  It was…interesting…  They are an excellent group, but I wasn’t feeling all that good by the time the performance started – I think I had a bad reaction to the spicy tuna at Baby Blue… L  Nevertheless, I wouldn’t have missed it. J  Some of their material seemed a little dated though – or is it old enough to be considered “classic”? – I caught an Urkel reference in one song.  It occurred to me that half of the audience probably wasn’t old enough to remember who Steve Urkel was!

 

African dance classes have started at Gnosis studio!  I’ve taken a couple of workshops with Melissa, the instructor, and always had a good time, so how could I miss the change for a whole 6-week session?  The moves are totally different from what we do in belly dance, and you feel really awkward, but I guess that’s what helps you learn, right?  I sure hope so… J  Right now I’m taking 3 classes at Gnosis…cause I’m a glutton for punishment – add in weekly rehearsals, extra practices for special performances, my twice weekly crack-of-dawn PiYo class, and the hopefully-more-than-occasional run, and I’m probably lucky I can walk…