Friday, September 12, 2008

what a week...

Wow, what a week.  I've basically had a headache for the past month, which sucks.  It's not caffiene or water related, as my headaches usually are, so I've been stumped.  Ibuprofen did not help.  Finally on Wednesday, I called and scheduled a massage at the Omaha School of Massage Therapy.  My neck is constantly stiff and my shoulders have been pretty tense (a massage therapist friend told me that my left shoulder was sitting higher than my right - that's tension!)  Meaning to stay for 30 minutes, I ended up going for the full hour.  Ahhh...it was great!  The girl really focused on my upper back and shoulders.  Headache?  Gone...for about an hour.  Since I had to go back to work afterwards, it came back pretty quickly.  Hmmm...think we've found the cause?

Other than that, this week held the first Jr. League of Omaha meeting of the year, a great movie (Gonzo: the life and work of Dr. Hunter S. Thompson), a mad scramble to use up CSA veggies (um, not quite done with that), apples, apples, and more apples, and ended with today, my 29th birthday. 

I found myself in the kitchen Wednesday night, scrubbing, peeling, chopping and grating as fast as I could, trying to make up of my CSA stash for the week.  I made a raw beet salad, a spiced carrot salad, froze some green beans, baked two apples crisps, and then basically ran out of time. I still have Swiss chard, leeks, baby greens, cucumbers, zucchini, several winter squashes, and so on.   Oh, and eggs.  Lots of eggs.  I'm going to try to whip up a chard-leek quiche today (crustless so that the DH and I can both eat it) and maybe these "pop-up pancakes" that Angry Chicken pointed to...both will use up eggs. :)

The apples in the apple crisp were not from the CSA (there were apples in the CSA, but I've been getting through those at a decent rate); instead they came from my boss's farm.  He drug in 3 bushels of apples to work for us, and I swear I ended up with an entire bushel myself.  After pawning some off on ML and some of the other Divas, I still have half of a Rubbermaid tub to use up.  I have an apple peeler-corer-slicer on loan, so hopefully I can made quick work of them.  I'd like to freeze as many as possible and then as time permits, bake them as crisps or pies, and make some jams or butters.  I found an awesome recipe for Caramel-Apple jam - just need to find gift-sized jars (i.e. half-pints) and I'll have half of my Christmas gifts done. :)

So, like I said, today is my birthday.  My first order of business?  Taking the garbage to the curb.  Ahem, sweetie - really, should I be doing this on my BIRTHDAY?!? ;)  Oh well.  Then it's off for a much needed haircut before I start in on the food.  Who wouldn't want to spend their birthday coring apples?  I tell ya...better than being at work!