Friday, March 09, 2007

Famous relatives...

I was listening to NPR’s story of the day from Feb. 24th (I’m a little behind) on my way back from the gym. The story was about this man, “H.M”, who underwent an experimental brain surgery in the 50’s to correct his severe epilepsy. The procedures caused him to lose his ability to produce new memories, leaving him unable to live on his own. The name of the physician that performed the procedures (and later advocated to have it banned from use) caught my attention:

William Beecher Scoville

Here’s another relative that got off the farm and made a name for himself. When I found the article below, I sent it to my Grandma Scoville, who tracked this man down. Turns out he’s my great-grandfather’s cousin, and in their youth, he dated and almost married the woman who became my great-grandmother! Fortunately for me, THAT didn’t happen!

Merritt Scoville

And of course, we can't forget about Wilbur Scoville, who invented the Scoville Scale.