Friday, June 15, 2007

Going local

Crunchy Chicken announced her latest challenge today:  Local Food Month.  Eating more local food was one of the goals of Low Impact Week.  I’m really excited about this challenge, which will span the month of July.  I’ve read up a lot on local food over the past couple of years, and I’ve been shopping at a local farmers market for several summers.  This year, I also took on the personal challenge of a home garden.

This weekend, ML and I will visit a nearby berry farm – cross your fingers that we don’t come home empty-handed!  I’ve convinced my mother to loan me her canning supplies, so I can finally restock my jam and jelly reserves…I’ve been considering doing the PB&J thing a lot more often, both for the economic and environment benefits, as well as the fact that I just really like them. J  But as I refuse to eat store-bought jelly, I’ve whittled my supply down to Grandma’s Chokecherry Jelly.  I’m on my last jar…it’s good stuff!

Hmmm…maybe foraging the Omaha landscape for food will distract me from not-shopping