Tuesday, June 26, 2007

What I haven't bought...

I’ve completed a full 2 weeks of attempting to not shop.  What have I purchased?  Besides the occasional soda pop at work (during post-running hypoglycemic episodes only), a much-needed pot for my ailing patio tomato plant, a bracelet and some t-shirts at the Goodwill (these were recycled fabric for a new project), and the ribbon and Velcro to complete a costume, not much.  I’ve avoided the opportunity for shopping as much as possible, but of course, in our society temptations abound.  I think I’ve done a decent job of fending it off.  What haven’t I bought?  In the past two weeks, I have considered, and postponed, purchasing the following items:

  • magazine subscription – both the paper and e-versions
  • lawn chairs – would have been great at Shakespeare…
  • new fabric – still haven’t used all I have…
  • books – several are not available through either the library or PBS L
  • cheese-maker – don’t ask
  • additional Melodias – I’ve had a taste, I want them all!
  • t-shirt dress – maybe I can make one?
  • art work – beautiful stuff at the SAF
  • bread bowl – I’m sure I would’ve used it!
  • ORG t-shirt – maybe once ML is actually playing…
  • reusable grocery bags – needed, but am using various bags I find around the house for now
  • recycled backpack – it just looked cool
  • “surfer” shoes – I have no idea what they’re really called, but they were so comfy…

All of these items are things I could afford and would have normally bought on impulse, but I’m being good.  I’m sticking with my pledge, as best I can.  The cd I ordered from Amazon before I started has already arrived, a couple of weeks early, but I am not opening the package until this is over.  Instant gratification be damned! J

Today I will finished reading Affluenza – I failed miserably the “affluenza self-diagnosis test” in Chapter 21.  I am deeply infected.  Hopefully this month is my first step towards recovery…