Thursday, July 12, 2007

30 days are up! How'd I do?

Well, yesterday was Day 30 of my break from shopping. How did I do? Not as well as I’d hoped, but about as good as I expected! I did buy a few new things, some out of necessity, some out of plain ol’ greed. I also bought some used items. However, as much as I did buy, it doesn’t begin to compare to what I didn’t buy! Let’s see, shall we:

Items purchases June 12 – July 11, 2007:

Necessities:

  • Self-watering tomato pot and potting soil – my patio tomato took a sudden turn for the worse in it’s tiny pot.
  • Insect spray – cucumber beetles attached my garden.
  • Bra – I went to a dance workshop in another town without this item. Don’t ask.
  • Belt – halfway to my destination, I realized that my shorts were not holding themselves up any longer.

Not-so-necessary, but used to finish several craft projects:

  • Ribbon
  • Snaps
  • Velcro
  • Rhinestones

No reason at all, just couldn’t stop myself:

  • Pink coin scarf pink belly dancer tank top, pink necklace, copper necklace and earring set
  • 3 yards denim fabric

Used items:

  • 2 jackets (to be altered and embroidered)
  • Ties (for a project)
  • T-shirts (to be reconstructed)

Now, let’s see what I didn’t buy this month:

  • Magazine subscriptions
  • lawn chairs
  • new fabric (other than the denim slip-up)
  • books
  • cheese-maker
  • more Melodia pants
  • t-shirt dress
  • art work
  • bread bowl
  • ORG t-shirt
  • reusable grocery bags
  • recycled backpack
  • surfer shoes
  • jeans – from new “Bitten” Sarah Jessica Parker collection
  • cool peacock feather-print t-shirt (Bitten)
  • shoes (Bitten)
  • Jewelry (Bitten)
  • Dress (Bitten)
  • Matching undies for new bra (Bitten)
  • New embroidery patterns
  • Wings of Isis
  • Stretchy skirt & top set
  • Velvet fringe belt
  • Leaf-coin belt
  • 2 pink hip scarves
  • Bedazzled Melodia knock-offs
  • Sari-print veil and pants
  • Pre-order dvds (tribal-fusion belly dance)
  • Countless items that flitted through my mind as potential splurges and treats

Actually, not that I look over my not-purchased list I’m surprised there isn’t more. Maybe I spend enough time reading Voluntary Simplicity that a little of it rubbed off on me? Or maybe my subconscious was relying on the fact that 30 days isn’t really that much time and I would be back to normal shopping habits soon enough… Will I? I don’t plan on reverting entirely to my material-driven ways, but I will buy some things. Fabric for sure, the new dvds perhaps, the embroidery patterns definitely, the jeans maybe. Any new-clothes shopping sprees will be short-lived as I am signing up for the Wardrobe Refashion pledge that starts in August. I won’t have a lot of spending cash anyway, with a workshop roadtrip on the horizon and a jaunt to NYC with my siblings this fall to pay for…

All in all, this an interesting little endeavor. I don’t feel like I “found myself” or anything that profound, but I have a little more closet space (or will once I clean said closet!) and a little more self-awareness… And those last two don’t cost a thing.