Monday, July 16, 2007

Un-green regression

The Associated Press reported (I found it here on Yahoo! News) that most people regress from their green home behaviors when they travel – using more water, electricity, linens, and disposable products on the road because they “it’s free”.  I guess I found this someone surprising (but probably shouldn’t have) because I don’t automatically drop these habits;  we don’t get fresh sheets every night, we try to reuse our towels if they aren’t all hotel-swimming-pool-smelly (I hate the smell of chlorine), and if I open the single use shampoos, I take them home with me to use up.  And I’m always shutting the lights and TV off when we got out.  I understand the convenience factor, but why do people feel like they have to get their money’s worth out of a hotel stay by being wasteful?