Thursday, August 23, 2007

Dude, you're so lucky!

That’s what the DH’s new band mates were telling him last night.  It seems every time they’ve come over (last night was practice #5), I’ve been cooking something or have been otherwise occupied in the kitchen.  Last night I made peach crisp with the last of the weekend’s peaches. (More on the way apparently – my lovely mother-in-law is dropping off bags of frozen peaches and cherries from their yard this weekend).  Let me tell you, peach crisp and vanilla ice cream is the breakfast of champions!  But I digress…

I have been spending a lot of time in the kitchen lately.  Between chopping, peeling, blanching, boiling, canning, stir-frying, and baking, we’ve gone through quite a bit of really great food this summer.  I guess that’s what happens when you limit the conventional convenience foods and cook with fresh, local ingredients.  

I’ve always been a little food-obsessed.  I’d rather be in a supermarket than a mall – even just to window-shop.  When my second-grade art teacher introduced us to collages, I pasted together photos of food and built my own grocery store.  Since food is pretty much on my mind at all times, I figured it was best to start focusing on “real” food – fresh veggies and fruits, meat and dairy from happy cows, etc.  I can’t say it’s doing much for my waistline, but my digestive system and conscious are all the better for it. 

I just hope the DH doesn’t think this is a result of my donning the title of “wife”!  I enjoy cooking, but all motivation escapes me the moment I am expected to perform.  He better just enjoy the good life while it still captivates my attention – and he better keep up on the dishes!