Thursday, September 06, 2007

A Tale of Two Veggies

On the local food front, my DH was sweet enough to suggest a trip to the Lincoln Farmer’s Market on Saturday morning before the season’s first Husker game.  We walked away with quite a haul: German plums, butternut and spaghetti squash, burpless cukes, peppers & onions, garlic, seedless watermelon, and cantaloupe.  Not bad!  Well, other than the walk to the car with all this stuff… J  After the game, my mom presented us with half a lug of fresh peaches, too.  Mmm…

After my glorious butternut squash experience last week, I wanted more veggie newness.  So, the next night I baked a beet.  This was no small beet like you’ll see pickled.  It was a big honkin’ potato-sized beet and I was instructed to cook it much like a potato – wrapped in foil and roasted in the oven for an hour.  I cut it apart, slathered on some butter and chowed down.  Wow!  If someone would have asked me to eat it, I would have said ‘no, thanks!’, but I’m really glad I did it on my own, ‘cause it was fantastic.  However, although I’d been warned, I was still surprised at the effects beets have on certain bodily functions.  Ahem.  Ew.

To follow this vegetarian success, this week I cooked up the spaghetti squash for me and the DH.  It’s low-carb enough that he could share it with me, unlike the butternut squash or beet.  I nuked it, then sautéed the “noodles” with some chicken (free-range & hormone-free, of course), pesto and mozzarella.  Ta-da – the DH’s new favorite meal. 

What to try next?