Sunday, April 20, 2008

Gasping for breath...

Despire attending two concerts this weekend that didn't allow smoking (the Slowdown never does, and the Waiting Room did a special non-smoking show at the request of the artist), my lungs are achy this morning.  Could be the fact that, despite the lack of smoke at the WR, it is normally a smoke-friendly establishment and we reeked when we left, or it could have been the massive amounts of sage being burnt at the next booth over during yesterday's Earth Day festivities.  Either way, I'm in pain.  Don't you just love us cranky ex-smokers?
Despite the wheezing, it has been a great weekend so far - Friday night, the DH and I hung out at the Waiting Room to see Kimya Dawson.  She was great IMO, as was what I saw of the first act and the second band.  The 3rd opening act, however, played a little too long...and they were kinda boring.  This caused Kimya to be a tad less enjoyable that she could have been, 'cause by that point, we just wanted to go home and sleep.  Nevertheless, I'm glad I got to see her in person - she's funny and pretty darn humble for the amount of attention she's recently been blessed with due to the Juno soundtrack.  I would see her again for sure.  I know the DH hated every moment of the evening...which is precisely what I love about him the most (well, one of many things) - he'll go to these things just to be with me, and he'll only roll his eyes just a little bit...
As I mentioned, yesterday was the Earth Day festival in Elmwood Park.  What a fabulous day!  After playing with my nephew and visiting with my mom and sister (here at Hotel Owen, family always seems to be stopping by to use the guest room), I headed to the park to help man the Diva Soma and Nebraska Food Coop tables.  It was sunny and relatively warm.  The Divas entertained the crowds with our belly dance stylings and I enjoyed a local bbq brisket sandwich from the local culinary institute.  Mmm...brisket. 
After sitting in the sun all afternoon, I swung by a couple of gardening stored for compost and topsoil.  My home compost pile, let's see...how do I say it...sucks!  I'm going to have to start over... 
I didn't read the bags very well and wasn't aware that they were 40 lbs each (I was thinking more like 20), so I guess I shouldn't be surprised that I can barely hold my arms up to type this morning - I managed to log 11 bags from my car to the garden last night.  Ouch!  And I still need to get out there this morning and dump their contents into the garden bed.  :(  But I digress....
Once I washed all the mud off, I headed downtown to the Slowdown to catch Man Man.  Holy crap - that's a show!  If you ever get a chance, check them out - I can't even describe it, except that it was exactly what I expected and I loved every minute!