Friday, January 30, 2009

almost made it!

One of my goals for the month of January was to not buy anything.  Obviously stuff like food, gas, etc are necessary purchases, but clothes, books and the like were out.  I made it until Jan 22 before I caved and bought some clothes at My Closet.  To be fair, we were having a $5 sale and it is for a very worthy cause.  But then I bought a few more things at My Closet on Saturday…and some craft supplies on Monday (which I did NOT need)…and  a couple more tops at My Closet last night…  Grrr…I was doing so well!  Oh, well.  That’s about the longest I’ve ever gone, so I’ll consider the month to be a relative success.  The point wasn’t so much self-deprivation as to stop the constant inflow of stuff into my life and give me a chance to purge a little.  I was hoping to make a dent in my craft stash, which I did (but have since replenished), and to go through my closet and sort out some things I no longer wear.  I did accomplish that much – in addition to the two tops I bought at MC last night, I also walked out with a receipt for $300 worth of donated clothing.  Whoo-hoo!  That’s a big deal for me – I’m a possessive type and it is very hard for me to let go of things.  What if I want them some day???

I’m trying to change my attitude about clothing.  Rather than buying clothes, I’m going to start looking at it as “renting”.  Perhaps it’ll be a little easier for me to relinquish them when they’re time has passed, rather than insisting that I must hold onto them because I paid good money to acquire them in the first place. We’ll see…

I also dropped off a couple of boxes of misc junk at the GoodWill.  Unfortunately I couldn’t stop myself from also going inside the store…sigh.  I found two large knit dresses – should be enough fabric there for some simple tops.  Also found a vintage orange plaid skirt, which I’ll alter to fit.  Some good deals to be had if you look for that week’s sale color tag.  But of course, just more stuff that  I don’t need…