Sunday, September 06, 2009

comfort food

Instead of attending a very tempting "Labor Eve" party tonight, I am in PJs, reading and carefully noshing on comfort food - mashed potatoes (with sour cream and fresh-from-the-garden chives) and tuna noodle casserole.  I can't chew.  I can barely get food into my mouth, and not at all without a pre-dinner rinsing with some "magic mouthwash" to kill the pain.  I've had canker sores before, but nothing like this.  I hate braces. 

At least this gave me the excuse of a lazy day; no homework, no housework, no work-work, just "fun" reading and a little work on a patchwork t-shirt dress. 

This book, Lost Crafts, came in the mail yesterday.  While less detailed that I expected (I guess I was imagining more "how-to's"), it is a really extensive guide to "things we just don't do anymore", at least not the typical "we".  Shearing sheep?  Not in Omaha!  For many of the crafts, there is a nice description and some history and photos, as well as pointers to additional resources.  It will be nice on the coffee table for a while, although it might become a gift for the in-laws...